Sunday, June 13, 2010

Never Thought This Would Happen

Since D&D 4th Edition came out, I’ve played only a handful of times.  Usually they are just “Encounter” games where you go into a dungeon and take on a few battles until the end.  Last night I was asked if I wanted to play today.  After some thought I realized, I’m bored of D&D.  At least the way I’ve played it recently.

I mean, sure, battles are fine, but when that’s the only thing you do in a game it just turns into a dice game like Yahtzee or Liar’s Dice, only not as fun.  I guess what I’m saying is that these encounter games are missing a vital part of RPGs…. the RP.

I like a story.  I like to portray my character as more than just a bunch of numbers on a sheet and a little plastic figure.  It’s the same way with video games and why I hardly ever play multiplayer – I like to experience the story.  I don’t mind a little deathmatch skirmish with a bunch of people using each other as target practice but, at the end of the day, instead of playing that for a few more hours, I’d rather return to find out who stole the Masterwork Hubcaps of Levitation or something.

I miss the epic storyline games that I used to play with my buddies years ago.  Sure there was lots of getting sidetracked and there was definitely a lot of inebriation, but it was fun.  Whether it was an Elven Necromancer, a being from a world of nightmares, or a pyromaniac dwarf, the characters and stories had substance.  Whereas in the encounter games, it doesn’t matter if your character is King of Kickassia or a shit scooper in Wussopotamia.

No comments:

Post a Comment